Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wolf on the Wall.


First and foremost, let me apologize for the blue tint to these first couple pictures. I didn't realize Ben had changed the settings on the camera. Whoops. 

This is my Wolf on the Wall project. The name came about when Ben and I walked up the street to where all the food trucks hang out in Burbank. As we waited in line, we peered into the antique shop behind us and saw a picture of a wolf on the wall. For some reason that turned in to the thing to say, and this project was born...

I found this ceramic wolf head while I was visiting Tacoma for my birthday in March. I loved it instantly but wasn't one hundred percent in love with the paint job. The setting on the camera really does a lot for it, so you may not totally understand. Let's just say that when 'Doug' painted this he didn't have me in mind.

Scale

Just to give you an idea of how large it is, I will supply Olive's head for scale. 

Cute.

It has the same bump on its snout as Olive. Friends! 

Still blue.

I decided I wanted to go white. White and gold. I used a gloss acrylic paint in buttermilk.

Yeah! Color correction!

 I must have painted four coats. No doubt because it's a glazed ceramic item, but that's never stopped me before.

White wolf.

 It reminds me of Jon Snow, the bastard's, white dire wolf from Game of Thrones.


But from this angle it really could be a bust of the Biss (aka Olive). 

Enter the gold paint.

I didn't want to go too over-the-top with gold paint, so I jazzed up the eyes. 


And nose...


And a little something extra for good measure. 


WOLF ON THE WALL!!

2 comments:

  1. And Jon Snow's wolf is on the Wall. Nerd alert: perfect title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wolf is almost as handsome as John snow! Great tutorial!
    Jess xox
    timefortea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...